Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Beginning of the 2nd Trimester!!





We are at the beginning of our 2nd trimester! I can't believe how time has flown. This past week, I went maternity shopping with my Mom. I finally folded and bought some maternity pants, which I must admit are not that bad. I also started filling out our baby book that JoAnne bought for us ... thanks Jo!
We have a lot of things going on this week. We have a Doctor's appointment on Monday to check for down syndrome. Our pregnancy is very low risk, but Matt and I just wanted to have the test to be pre-cautious. The good thing is that we get to have another ultrasound to see the baby!! The test for down syndrome calculates the probability that the baby would be born with DS. They do an ultrasound to check the skin behind the baby's neck and then a blood test. Later that evening, Matt and I have our first baby class!!! We are so excited! Hopefully, we will get to meet other couples who are expecting.
I have Natalie and my Mom coming to visit this weekend. I am super excited to see them! And I can't wait for my Mom to cook some homemade food. Yummy!!!!

Baby Development:
The second trimester brings in relief and reality. ... Yes, you're really having a baby! Now the high-risk period is over. Week 13 marks a milestone for your baby-to-be. The baby is the size of a peach. Developmentally speaking he's no longer an embryo, but a fetus. He's looking—and acting—more and more like a baby every day. He appears to be resting because his eyelids have formed and are fused together, but her arms and legs move and twitch (although you probably can't feel it … yet). He can suck his thumb, too.
The baby is ramping up in his growth rate. Your baby's organs, now fully formed, will mature during this trimester in preparation for life after birth. You still supply his oxygen through your bloodstream, but your baby will exercise his lungs and work his chest muscles. His kidneys are getting some practice too, and the amniotic fluid now contains fetal urine. The placenta is working alongside your baby, producing hormones and red blood cells. His skin is becoming more water proof. His heart beat will start slowing down, but it will become strong enough to hear during your Doctor's visit.

Cravings: CHEESE!! Cheese with crackers, grilled cheese sandwiches and cheese pizza! Applesauce

4 comments:

Monica Ward said...

Thanks for the update and kudos for filling out the baby book! I was so bad at that. Cheese cravings - yummy. With Ally I ate Kraft Mac n Cheese everyday. Love to you both - Monica

Melissa Ta said...

Hey Catherine and Matt!
Thank you so much for keeping us all posted with your progress. Art and I are absolutely excited for you both!!

Unknown said...

Matt and Cat,
We love reading your updates, The beginning of your second trimester wow, time is sure flying, can't wait,we Love you both, take care of your self.
Love,Grams and Papa

Unknown said...

I love your pregnancy website. It is so much fun getting the weekly updates.Our baby is getting so big and you look absolutely beautiful.
Can't wait for the next ultra sound.
Let me know how the doctor's appt. and the class goes.
I love you all so very much.